A Short Description of the NIMH
National Institute of meteorology and hydrology (NIMH) is the official hydrometeorological service of the Republic of Bulgaria and main research organization in the field of meteorology, hydrology and agrometeorology in the country. NIMH provides high quality services, expertise and specialized information for the territory of Bulgaria and the Black Sea to the government, local authorities, society and wide range of users in its fields of competence.
Main Activities of NIMH
• Monitoring, analysis, and forecast of atmospheric and hydrological processes;
• Study of spatial-temporal characteristics of climate and water resources;
• Study and forecasting of atmospheric and hydrospheric composition and its variations of natural and anthropogenic origin;
• Protecting lives and property through timely prediction of hazardous and weather and flooding;
• Provision of national and international data exchange in South Eastern Europe and the Middle East for the World Weather Watch (WWW).
• Improving the network of measuring stations, the methods of monitoring, transmission, processing and interpretation of data.
• Evaluation of hydro-meteorological resources: climatic, agroclimatic and water, their fluctuations throughout the country and their influence on the economy.
• Developing, implementation and sustaining modern methods for short- and medium-range forecast of hydrometeorological processes, such as numerical modelling, satellite data acquisition and processing, radar data interpretation, etc.
• Development of methods for long-term weather forecasting.
• Studying of clouds physics and holding aerological measurements.
• Studying of atmospheric and hydrospheric composition and its variations of natural and anthropogenic origin.
• Modelling pollutants transfer, and sediment regime of rivers.
The main tasks allocated to NIMH in Iliad
Bulgarian Black Sea coast monitoring system – upgrade and development (widening observation range, forecasting, early warnings, business and public services). Long time datasets provisioning for Black sea wave climate based on modelling and relevant marine meteorological data. Further development of Bulgarian Black Sea coast monitoring system – upgrade and development (widening observation range, forecasting, early warnings, business and public services). NIMH will provide to the platform long term marine climatological datasets including historic and climate change scenarios data and also relevant remote sensing data. covers its specific needs. The provided historical data will serve the community with information useful for the prevention of natural disasters and regional planning. The climate projection data will contribute to the process of adaptation to the climate changes in the Black Sea region.
National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology
Bul Tzarigradsko Chaussee 66
WP1 | Co-designing the Digital Twins of the Oceans
WP2 | Data Acquisition from Pilots/Collection of Existing Databases
WP7 | Demonstration and impact assessment of Iliad pilots
WP10 | Stakeholder Engagement and Capacity Building
WP11 | Outreach, Communication and Dissemination